09 June 2012

Mama Loves: Granola

My friend Julia does a great series on things she has found helpful in her mothering journey.  I'm joining up today with a quick post on my new favorite breakfast (the girls like it too)!

All winter long we alternate breakfast between oatmeal and eggs.

I'm still on an egg-free diet and, while I have found a million ways to vary up the oatmeal, it's summer now: not every morning is suitable for hot oatmeal.

Enter granola.  It still uses all the basic materials (that I buy in bulk or make at home): oats, honey, and yogurt (a girl has to have some protein to chase twins all day!).  But I can serve it cool... and even snack on it mid-day.

I've tried a lot of granola recipes, but I'm finding that granola is one of those things where it's okay to exercise my creative genes.  I just sort of go with it.  :)

Here's my loose recipe, a couple variations, and a few granola making tips.

Ingredients

  • about 4 cups oats (the toddlers measure... it's never exact!)
  • about 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or not)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or wheat germ
  • 1/2 stick butter (I'm sure coconut oil would be amazing too!)
  • 1/2-1 cup honey (enough to make it pretty moist)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 250 F
  2. Thoroughly mix oats, coconut, and wheat flour/germ.
  3. Dump in butter and add enough honey to make it pretty moist but not super sticky
  4. Toss in an oiled glass or ceramic baking dish.  I use a 9x13 or two extra large loaf pans.  Do not use a metal dish: you will burn it!
  5. Put into oven and stir outsides/bottom toward the top/middle of your dish about every 30 minutes.  
  6. When it turns a tad golden brown, it's done!
Tips
  • If you like nuts in your granola, add them in slices or bits before baking.
  • If you like dried fruit in your granola (or chocolate chips), add after baking.
  • Feel free to add in some spices of your choice: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamon would all be good.
  • Feel free to use some extracts.  I've used vanilla and almond before.  Both were pretty yummy :)
Variations
  • Chocolate granola: Add enough cocoa powder (the darker the better!) to turn the oat mixture a chocolate color before baking.
  • Banana granola: Mash a banana and add with the honey. 
I think I'm going to try pumpkin next... wish me luck!

5 comments:

Julia said...

Yum! I can't wait to make this. Definitely going to give the chocolate granola a try.

Approximately how long does this cook? Stir every 30 minutes two times? Three times? 10 times? I'd assume two or three?

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Our breakfasts usually alternate between oatmeal and cream of wheat, with either scrambled eggs or cottage cheese, and fresh fruit. For some silly reason I hadn't even thought about yogurt being a protein option. Thank you for the light bulb moment! ;)

Thanks also for the granola recipe. I'm going to try it this week. And do you mind to share about how long it usually takes to cook?

Melissa Ann said...

I have no idea how long I cook it! I made all three batches the other morning and it was a busy morning with lots of crazy twin discipline sessions, a boy who wouldn't nap, and about 3 loads of laundry being folded. I think it was all done in 2 hours or less :-p

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Yummy! Yummy! Thanks for the recipe...visiting from Mama Loves!

:)

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Just made this this morning with the girls...added some slivered almonds and a tsp of cinnamon. It is so good! Even Hubby raved about it. :) Thanks again for the recipe, Melissa!